Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Price of Good Elder Care

Has this occurred to any of you?

That the price of good elder care is prolonging lives way beyond natural expectation?

If I'd hired average in-home care for my narcissistic elderly adoptive father, chances are he'd be dead by now.

I'm sure of it.

But since he's in a top notch assisted living facility, his life has been saved numerous times.

Today he almost died.

He almost died a couple weeks ago.

He has Lewy Body dementia and has trouble swallowing. He nearly choked to death. Once on soup. Today on bread.

It was a terrifying experience for him. He said, "Oh God, this isn't how I want to go. I want to die in my sleep!"

The nurses saved him by doing to the Heimlich. Twice now. If he'd stayed home, even with help, he would have been dead by now. By forcing him into a high quality assisted living facility I not only did the right and moral thing, I've prolonged his life. Beyond it's natural limits. He's miserable. And so am I. This is one of the unintended consequences of the top notch assisted living facility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you ever heard of the saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions