Monday, March 17, 2008

Chaos and Crisis

Somebody found this blog by Googling, "elderly narcissistic parent crisis."

Which got me wondering about the possibilities:

a) Was the self-centered parent having a crisis?

b) Was having a narcissist for a parent the crisis?

c) Did the parent become impossibly self-centered with age or dementia?

d) Was the adult son or daughter having a tough time caring for or making arrangements for their aging parent because said parent was narcissistic?

Having absolutely no idea, I'd like to talk a bit about d).

When it became obvious that my father was no longer able to live safely by himself, it seemed like he did everything imaginable to make a tough decision as miserable as possible.

That some aging folks actually plan or cooperatively participate in planning for their future needs is an idea so strange it's right up there with aliens. Two friends told me about their own mothers, who researched the various possibilities, then moved themselves into assisted living facilities because they didn't want to be a burden to their kids. Sheesh. One of these old ladies even bought a condo in one of those fancy schmancy places so she could give it to her daughter for her future use. Double sheesh.

My narcissitic father?

He took no responsibility for helping me figure out how to make it possible for him to stay in his own home. He'd only say he didn't need any help. That I was exaggerating his need for care. Yet, I was the first call he'd make when he needed help.

He refused to move into an assisted living facility. He threatened to throw himself out of the car if I drove him there.

He refused in-home help of any kind. When I insisted on at least a part-time housekeeper, he threatened to kill himself.

He refused to move into an apartment close to me, his only child, so I could help him maintain his independence. I repeatedly offered help with meals, cleaning and transportation to and from the doctor. He said he'd kill himself if I made him move out of his house.

He refused to compromise in any way. The man simply wouldn't budge.

Then I got the blame.

To everybody else, it must have seemed I was the World's Worst Daughter because I found out he went around complaining that I'd abandoned him after all he'd done for me.

He began to fall down, had his driver's license taken away (another post! OMG! the stress!!!), and things rapidly fell apart.

Have I mentioned my father is a hypochondriac? If he's feeling anxious or if he's upset that I missed calling him at the appointed hour, he begins having chest pains and calls 9-1-1. (Another post! OMG! the stress!!!)

Of course, he expected me to leave my children and fly 400 miles to solve the probems he'd created by refusing all offers of assistance.

Then the phone calls started.

He'd call five, six...seven...up to ten times a day with one crisis or another. This went on for two long, miserable months. I was a nervous wreck, always expecting the phone to ring, not knowing what was going to happen next, but unsure how to solve the problem.

Then I remembered what happened to my poor grandmother.

My narcissistic father failed to take responsibility for her when she developed Alzheimers in her early 90's. Until then, she'd been remarkably healthy. Long story, but I found out that the police had threatened my father with charges of elder abuse and neglect after she'd been mugged during one of her wandering spells, and so I stepped in and took over. I'd only recently moved back into the state and couldn't believe my father had neglected his mother, whom he professed to adore.

So that got me thinking.

I was going to have to get tough. Even if my father pitched a fit, I was still going to have to take responsibility and make the right decision. I certainly didn't want to be charged with elder abuse or neglect. Which was likely because my father was out telling the world about just what a lazy, good for nothing, neglectful daughter he had! It didn't matter if my father was willful and stubborn as all hell.

So tough I got.

I found a top-notch assisted living facility and said he'd need to move in or else he was completely on his own. And I meant it.

Now I look back at that time and shake my head. I felt like such an evil, awful person at making him leave his home. I gave myself no credit for trying to come up with other solutions. For trying to persuade him to accept help. All I felt was Guilt, Guilt and More Guilt. Of all the dark times, this was probably the gloomiest. But finally, in he went and I've never regretted that decision. Not for one teeny, tiney second.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

“All I felt was Guilt, Guilt and More Guilt.”

Understandable, but ultimately wrong because it is what you have been conditioned all your life, to attend to the needs of a narcissist and when you don’t, they either make your life hell by attacking or make your life hell by turning it into a pity party and transfer their defect onto you.

Feeling guilt implies you did something wrong, which obviously you did not.

Reading your blog helps me to get into the preparation mindset when the day comes and my mom will be needing care, whether it's serious or not. She loves to throw out the occasional "I may die soon one day." and I say "Who knows, I might die before you do, it has happen before." And then she gets quiet, but only for a spell.

Nina said...

Enilina,

Being raised Catholic probably just added Fuel to the Guilt Fire. I'm a lapsed Catholic and just the sight of steak on Fridays still makes me feel guilty, which probably explains why Friday always ends up pasta night!

As you mentioned your mom and the sort of thing she says, I'm reminded that it seems that people like this always seem to go on forever, while those who don't seek sympathy and show some dignity and bravery go quickly. This is just based on what I've seen in my family. My uncle, a fabulous man, dropped dead of a heart attack...so did my wonderful aunt after a brief illness. My mean mother lasted eight years. And my dad is like the evil Energizer Bunny!

roxtarc said...

in reading this post i was brought back to a year ago... when we moved by dad from the "hell" of my cousins home where he'd lived... to our old apt (we'd bought a house)... i hadnt realized at this point he was a narcissist... but i found out after we'd moved him into the apt... he complained about every little itty bitty thing... meanwhile he had BEGGED me to get him in there... DAILY FOR AT LEAST A MONTH (it was maddening) and in turn he was telling the adjoining tenant how we abandoned him there and he wanted to be in a home and he couldnt care for himself uggghhh. She told the LANDLORD who contacted me and wasn't going to cash his rent check till he'd met w/us all (i had cut myself off from him after the moving debacle & some other family maneuverings that had just finished me for him, plus i was pregnant at the time & had the whole "awakening" that brought on.. it was off w/his head for me then).... but the DRAMA... once i called him & told him, you may be out on the street if you don't fix this, because i've washed my hands of this and of you...

i got a call from the landlord the next week... said my father was a charming man, who probably just got a little nervous about the prospect of living on his "own" (he'd only lived w/my cousin for 5 or 6 months and lived on his OWN for 18/19 years) it's just incredible...

my anger is kind of peeking out today... not really anger, i'm finally passed that, not even disappointment... just an annoying tickle in the back of my throat.. i think reading your posts & everyone's comments, has helped me cough it up!

Nina said...

Roxtarchic,

First, welcome to my blog and thank you for sharing your story (okay, "sharing" makes me sound Churchladyish!).

I about fell over when I read:

"i got a call from the landlord the next week... said my father was a charming man, who probably just got a little nervous about the prospect of living on his "own"

Okay, this is a REALLY, REALLY big deal issue with having a narcissistic parent.

The blowback.

First, we know what we know. You KNEW your dad was being impossible and did the right thing by putting your foot down and setting boundaries...especially in your condition!....and then some outsider waltzes in and makes said narcissistic parent sound like a sweet old man who's a wee bit nervous! It's hard not to feel like a PUTZ or resist getting defensive.

ARGH!

My husband's take on this sort of behavior always makes me laugh. He just says, "God, your Dad is a big baby." Because that's exactly how they act. Like babies. Not men!

roxtarc said...

thank you Nina... it's so true... big baby.. me me me me mine! hah

Alexis said...

We do attend to their needs, but no matter how many options we give them it's never the right one. It's cus the right one doesn't exist. Or what might be right that day isn't right the next. Or right that morning, but not that afternoon. They don't know themselves well enough to know what they want. All they know for sure is that it is our fault for not getting it right.

Anonymous said...

I think I may write a book on this matter if I don't lose my health completely through all of this. My mom has dementia. I was out of the country for 10 years. Mom and I talked 3 to 4 times a week. When I discovered on webcam mom was repeating her actions and at time did not know who I was I along with my son rushed home to tend to her. I knew nothing of dementia. It is a long story. You see my brother is mentally challenged. If there is any stress in the home like mom talking nasty and refusing to go to doctor take off her boots as she sleeps with them on even in the summer my brother is quick to call the police on me! I am tending to mom, brother and my young son. Still my mom calls me her mom and some times her sister. In the home my mom is angry, but once the police shows up my mom and brother are making up lies as nothing physical happens except my brother wants to hit me...he is older than me. It feels so strange that my mom loved me so much and now they sit together plotting against me...oh I am not paranoid. I can hear them. They hide my own tv remote so my son cant watch tv, when I have to go out for a second if my brother is angry that I fed mom first or vice versa my stuff and my sons toys,books mysteriously disappears. Bad situation. I read lots of blogs about dementia. You show love and concern and they call the police. Luckily the police can see that no brother has been strangled for 30 minutes or even touched at all. My brother has always lied, stolen and punched when he gets angry and as a child he was never held accountable hence his out of control behavior as an adult. You want to be patient and it is hard. You want to show them dignity and respect when they have their finger in your face threatening you..and through it all I do get annoyed and angry but every day I still find the strength to feed them. There is no one way to do. And no your parent may not respect or show you love. It is your parents body in front of you, but the mind is not that of your parent. Although hard you must say ok this is someone that cared for me as a kid or this is some one I care about and no matter what until I can no longer care for them due to what ever...loss of your mental state, health, burn out...do what you can until you can no longer. Do not look for a return of love they cannot help it...it is not their fault.