Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Withering (Narcissistic) Minds & Tax Time

This marks my third year as Power of Attorney for my narcissistic father, who has Lewy Body dementia.

The one thing that remains intact, absolutely unchanged is....of course!...his narcissistic behavior. He is exactly as self-centered as he was when he was in his prime at 40! (Except now he expects me to eagerly listen to his adventures in the "poo poo room" as he calls it)

As tax time and the deadline for sending in health care reiumbursement claims are fast approaching, I have spent the last several days shuffling through paperwork, making phone calls, sending faxes and filling out stacks of annoying forms.

Taking over someone's life is complicated and time consuming. It's a job.

I just hope there's some money left over after he dies. At least there'd be something to go toward my daughters' college education and that would make me feel like there was some justice. That he'd contribute to my kids when he refused to give me a cent of financial help.

Basically, I spend my days trying to look on the bright side. The upside.

I try not to dwell on the fact that this is my fifteenth year of dealing with aging parents. I try not to think that this represents one-third of my life.

The fact that people are living longer is rather alarming. It's one thing if people can live longer and stay relatively healthy. It's another if they are sick and frail or develop dementia. Like both my adoptive, narcissistic parents did.

And then I read this bit of alarming news today:

"...the federal sponsored study concluded that 22 percent (of elderly Americans ages 71 and over) have begun to see their mental faculties decline, which translates into 5.4 million people.

"It's a huge number," said Brenda Plassman, a psychiatrist at Duke University Medical Center who led the study being published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Combined with a previous estimate that 3.4 million Americans have full dementia, such as Alzheimer's disease, the new findings mean that more than one-third of people ages 71 and older have some diminished mental functioning, the researchers said. About 25 million people in this age group live in the United States."

Every time I read something like this, I shiver. Because I know a certain percentage of those people are self-centered, crazy parents like mine. And that some middle aged person, like me, will be faced with the dilemma of what to do with their (badly) aging narcissist.

Surrounded by others who felt loved and nutured by their parents, by those who'd do anything for their aging mother or father, it's hard not to feel like you're a complete ingrate or loser...until you snap out of it and remember just how much your parents were never, ever there for you.

But once you've accepted the responsibility of your parents, acknowledging their failings isn't exactly inspiring either. It just pisses you off as you sit there, up to your ears in paperwork or fielding their sixth needy call of the day.

It's hard not to feel alone.

Until you realize that other people, like yourself, are having similar epiphanies and experiences. And it makes you feel less evil, more human, more sane.

I'd like to share with you what an Anonymous Commenter wrote....most eloquently...that perfectly captured the Aging Narcissistic Parent Dilemma:

"So, you also come to the crux of why I, and so many other children of N's, hit the wall when we get older and start to understand how much we did not get when we were kids.

You feel like a bank account that should start out full ... yet your parents make withdrawal after withdrawal until you are sentient enough as a teenager to know that you are absolutely empty and know you don't even have feelings of love any longer. Even so, you continue to extend the credit, go on with your life as a young adult, and even tolerate your parents a little bit more (mostly because you don't have to see them every day anymore - what a blessed relief).

And then, say in your 30's, just when you feel like you have put in enough work on your own to build your personal emotional bank account back up to a healthy level - ironically, that's just when your narc parents are going into decline. No one else is paying attention to them as much anymore, and you are their fallback N-Supply, as the books say. Your N-parents are fabulous and desirable and witty and clever and amazing, all the way up to the top of the hill, where they become lonely, needy, sick, old ... all the way back down the hill. It's quite a shock.

You have really worked hard to put together a life you love, despite your parents, and are even possibly in an emotionally stable place ... only to find out that your parents have penciled you in as their Sherpa as they maddeningly meander down the other side of their own mental mountains.

You reach the point where are just like, how much more do I have to give? And then, the answer becomes even more important when you have your own kids, and you are like, how much time that I give to my parents, am I taking away from my own kids - ?"

Thank you for that, Anonymous Commenter!

I love that...."penciled you in as their Sherpa!"

That's gonna get me through the day. No kidding.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unsolicted advice warning:

Why take all the calls?

Screen and answer one a day.

Thank you for your revelations-I will feel no guilt when they go to a home that isn't mine.

I limited my parent's contact- I just do not reply. I can't anymore and you know what....I don't miss them, not a bit. I guess- I realized there's nothing to miss.

Nina said...

Excellent advice!

I have learned - the hard way - to screen my calls. I have a harder time turning off my Pavlovian response. It's more a matter of KNOWING that he's calling and leaving panicky messages and the effort it takes to process/sort them. I haven't been able to ditch the feelings of dread I have over these calls. But I'm working on it!

To fall back on all that self-help lingo....it sounds like you are in a healthy place!!!

bonsai said...

Anonymous,

It is really interesting, what you say here..."nothing to miss".

I have spent a lot of time being grateful for the people my mother introduced me to...for the performing arts events she took me to, etc. All of that was very important to my development as a person and as a musician.

But in terms of our actual interpersonal interaction? Conversations? There's nothing to miss...because it was all about her talking about herself. Chasing her own tail.

I mourned very hard when I realized that the 6 months I'd spent since the last time I'd seen my mother (in December 2005) was likely to become a permanent measure --- for my own sanity, and because my presence in her life didn't seem to accomplish anything positive (not even for her). But I was mourning the idea of a parent, not specifically for anything I'd miss in my adult life without her in it.

HeatherRainbow said...

Maybe people will think me unkind, selfish in my own self, etc... but one thing I've learned, is to set boundaries. And, my parents are divorced, and they only had me. Well... so early on, it seemed like an incredibly impossible task to take care of both of them when they got older, let alone deal with their personalities. So... though I took emotional care of my mother for about 27ish years, and probably still do minorly, I quit taking care of my father's emotional needs about five years ago. And, with the both of them, they're going to have to find someone else to take care of them as they age, because I have my own life, and I feel like I've done my part. I took care of them when I was a child / young adult. Now I am my own person, and I'm taking care of me. I draw the line, and I reinforce the boundary.

Nina said...

Hey Elise,

I just wanted to acknowledge your post and say I think it's really important to allow ourselves to grieve for the kind of parent we will never, ever have. When my therapist suggested I have compassion for myself as a lonely child with no one to safely confide in, it took a long time to see myself that way...as vulnerable. Because we children of narcissists are pretty tough. But it was there, sure enough. Layers and layers of grief.

HEATHERRAINBOW, I for one certainly would never call you selfish for making a conscious decision what you can and will do. And 27 years of caretaking is more than enough!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I must have found your blog by Googling "Narcissism and Aging." I am the youngest of three, and this post nailed it - I am discovering in my late late late 30s it was ME who my N-parent penciled in as the sherpa. I keep thinking of Al Pacino in Godfather III: "each time I think I get out, they pull me back in."

I really don't want to go into details, because any time I spend describing N-parent, even THINKING about N-parent, makes me resentful. I have spent enough of my life catering to my N-parent's needs.

Anyway, I am reading this blog to learn more about the aging process when it comes to N-parents. Thank you.

Nina said...

NOVEMBER 29, 09 ANONYMOUS:

Well, if it's any consolation...there may come a point in time when the aging narcissistic parent becomes so diminished that they no longer have the capacity to make your life an active misery, as in the case of my father. Stipulation. If they are aging OUTSIDE your own home. If you still have the daily care of them....that's another thing entirely. I know there are some children of narcissists who find themselves in that position. I hope you aren't one of them. It's difficult enough having the responsibility of managing care, paperwork...and worrying about whether the money will last!

Very glad you found your way here.