Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Book Recommendation

As I'm on the lookout for (new to me) books about narcissistic parents, I was very happy to receive a recommendation from commenter/n-parent survivor Susie. Since this book may not be as well known as some of the others, I thought I'd share her review for those of you seeking more information:

The following contributed by Susie (copied from a comment/slightly shortened)

I really enjoyed reading "The Narcissistic Family" by Robert Pressman and colleagues. I read it for a class....so I don't know if it is easy reading for the general public, but from a survivor's point of view, the book was extremely helpful.

It also helped me better understand the structure of therapy and that everything that my therapist did had a purpose; that it wasn't just mindless rabble or simply the process rehashing painful memories.

It also taught me that individuals don't have to be officially diagnosed for the family structure/system to be "narcissistic" a.k.a.: self-absorbed. A lot of people who are dealing with narcissistic families/parents/partners etc are hesitant to give it a name or label for fear of "therapizing them". The book speaks more about the relational style of narcissistic families rather than the specific pathology of the narcissistic individual.


(Thank you, Susie! Ordered it from Amazon.)

3 comments:

Susie said...

Oooh cool! Tell me what you think later!

-Susie

Anonymous said...

I also would highly recommend "The Narcissistic Family." Another book that helped me that you haven't listed is "Will I Ever Be Good Enough: Healing the Daughters of Narcissitic Mothers" by Karyl McBride. Also, this website I found reassuring: http://www.daughtersofnarcissisticmothers.com/

Thanks for the blog!

Nina said...

Hi 2/17 Anonymous,

Thank you for the additional book recommendation...have heard of it but haven't read it yet.

Hope to do some badly needed updates to this blog and will add to book recommendations/sites.