Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ghost Parents

I'm luckier than most adult children of narcissists. I no longer have to deal with a difficult, demanding narcissistic parent and all the dilemmas and anxiety that poses.

My self-absorbed mother, who specialized in cold, punishing silences and angry outbursts, gradually softened as her Alzheimer's progressed. By her third year into the disease, she'd evolved into an entirely different person, smiling and always pleased to see me. While this transformation was a blessing, it was a mixed one. It made resolving the relationship impossible. Instead of some sort of conscious decision on my part how to proceed with my mother, I could only watch her fade away...leaving me to grapple with a lifetime of bad memories and all sorts of uncomfortable feelings.

My childlike narcissistic father became worse with the onset of Lewy Body dementia, what few filters he possessed zapped by this progressive disease of the frontal lobes. If he was difficult before the dementia, he became exponentially challenging afterward. It was like the Perfect Storm...a man with little judgment who says whatever he likes, no matter how hurtful, is impacted right smack in the judgment center of the brain! A visit with him required a thicker skin than an elephant. I watched in amazement as he managed to infuriate a geriatric doctor...who dumped my father as a patient.

But now, my father too has finally faded. He's still unpleasant and occasionally mean, but he's too far gone to pick up the phone and harass me. He's lost the power to make my daily life miserable. He's become a ghost while still living.

Here's the thing. My narcissistic parents continue to haunt me. What they did. What they didn't do. I think of them off. Daily. Whenever I see parents with children, walking the neighborhood, at the store. When I'm with my own daughters, seeing one off to college, the other through a tough break-up, these milestones trigger some terrible and sad memories that come unbidden.

Maybe this is another phase. Maybe it's the final phase before finally Letting Go. Maybe my father will have to die first before I can put this long and painful chapter behind me.

5 comments:

Susie said...

I know that having absolutely no contact with my parents was extremely relieving, especially concerning immediate needs and stresses, but I still struggled with the lasting effects even when I refused to have contact with them. However, the way I see the world has been inexplicably altered by my parents, regardless of them being alive or dead. I think I will always re-experience some memories and bitter feelings, but with time, I think that I will be better able to cope with them.
I think a lot of children of narcissists had/have fantasies of "being free of them forever". It seems, though, that this fantasy of lasting relief upon their disappearance/death places our well-being in their hands when in reality, we are ultimately in control of that.
For me, the idea that I would gain lasting relief when they died or when I stopped having contact with them continued to make the narcissists the center of my life rather than myself and my needs. What would happen if they lived to be 100 years old? I would have relief, finally, when I was in my 50's and 60's and that is far too long to wait! (I'm currently in my 20's).
-Susie

Nina said...

Susie...

It's funny...we are separated in chronological age by several decades but...from what you've shared...it just occurred to me that being in control of a narcissistic in itself delays growth, maturity and rational perspective...that these attributes are gained AFTER separating from narcissistic parents. So, for example, YOU could be much younger and yet, in some ways, be further along in the process of recovery.

I really liked what you said about being better able to cope with some memories and bitter feelings...

and YEAH!!! I think that is the unspoken fear of many children of aging narcissists...that they'll live to 100...outliving their funds, their friends and only have US to rely on....makes me shiver to think about it!

Saffy said...

Hi Nina, I rejoiced when I stumbled across your blog. I realised that it's a pretty common issue - what got me in your latest post was "My self-absorbed mother, who specialized in cold, punishing silences and angry outbursts" - I'm currently a month into the latest one. I dream of being free of her forever. Isn't that just an awful thing to say? I have a new baby girl and I hope like hell that she never thinks that way about me. But like Susie I'm in the space now where I realise that I need to build a life around her rather than waiting and hoping. Thanks Nina - your blog is a saviour.

Nina said...

Saffy,

Ack! So you're a month into the cold, silent treatment?

And you have a new baby?

Oh no!

Those two events combined...one awful...the other beautiful...both in their own way stressful.

Do NOT underestimate the absolute sanctity of your time with your baby...you'll never get that time back. I hate to self-reference, but I've written about that very topic...the fact that my time with my daughters when they were first born...I allowed my n-father to run amok. If I regret anything, it's that I wasn't yet aware to "set boundaries."

As painful as a cold, punishing silence might be...it might be preferable to the alternative of your mother being ACTIVELY self-centered at a time when YOU and YOUR BABY need nothing but unconditional love and support.

I have every confidence that your daughter will not think these thoughts of you...you've identified the problem...are tackling it...and you'll do what most parents have not...practice mindful parenting.

I think this is a special, serious concern of adult children of narcissists...that we don't know how to parent...but I believe in the power of education. We can change!!!

Unknown said...

I know this post is a decade old but i just found it. Three years ago i got pregnant and invited my narcissistic mother to my baby shower. She never showed up. Told by my dad later that she was busy. After i had my son i invited my parents to come see him. They didn't. They started ghosting me. My son is three now. They live 5 minutes away and have never seen him. I'm still so hurt and angry. The last time i talked to either of them we fought. I had been frustrated and hurt by their ghosting that i texted and said i give up, that i wouldn't try to contact them anymore. My mom texted back and started saying horrible things about how i was always a liar (she was lying to family about me at the time but couldn't even tell me what i had supposedly lied about) and made me feel like i was just trying to get attention by telling them how their behavior made me feel. Like I'm wrong to be hurt. She always acted like i was horrible, my whole life. Complained about me to everyone. I got good grades, didn't do drugs, never slept around, i rarely went out... i wasn't a bad kid. Maybe its for the best that we are no longer in each other's lives. Its probably best that my son never be exposed to her, she would just hurt him too.